tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Eric Miller" <jemil...@uchicago.edu>
Subject URL path naming question, recommended naming conventions?
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2003 18:56:36 GMT
I'm developing an application that uses servlets and JSP. Currently, it is
using a Model View Controller type setup where everything is going through a
single servlet (I'm not using Struts) which forwards to JSPs that are
located in WEB-INF.

The path to my application is,

https://myserver/myapp/servlet/controller

But, I have an index.jsp which uses the JSTL <c:redirect> tag to redirect so
that you can access the application using,

https://myserver/myapp

1. Is using an index.jsp with a redirect is something that is commonly done
to simplify the URL? Or, is there a better way?
2. If you do use a redirect, what's the easiest way to do this so that if a
query string is provided, it is preserved?
2. Is it still recommended to use "/servlet/" as part of the path for
servlets? Or, do most people not do this anymore?

BTW, I'm using a <c:redirect> and not a <c:forward> because the application
is password protected and I wasn't sure how to protect it if I did a
forward.

Jon