tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "George Sexton" <>
Subject RE: StringBuffer Factory?
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2003 01:30:05 GMT
This is a really bad idea because of the implementation of
StringBuffer.toString() and setLength().

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Home of Connect Daily Web Calendar Software
Voice: 303 438 9585

-----Original Message-----
From: Philipp Taprogge []
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2003 6:21 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: StringBuffer Factory?

I was just working on a little project of mine when a thought sprang
to my mind...
In my servlets I often have to assemble Strings like SQL statements
and the like. I use StringBuffers for this as they offer much better
performance than concat. Now I was wondering: would it make any sense
at all to get my StringBuffers from a pool by using JNDI instead of
having each servlet create new ones? I am not sure of the runtime cost
involved in JNDI lookups. Any thoughts?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail: