tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Scott Queen" <sc...@dokimosllc.com>
Subject Strange number of processes....
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:12:10 GMT
Ok…. I'm running Tomcat 4.1.18 as a standalone server on a Linux box.
I've configured 6 virtual hosts in the Tomcat-Standalone server having a
non-SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector (probably obvious) and a Coyote/JK2
AJP 1.3 Connector (I don't think this is used, but I'm not
sure….unfortunately reveals my lack of experise!).

I'm confused with the number of java processes spawned when I start
Tomcat.  Here is what I see:
                                                 # of initial
minProcessors |  maxProcessors |  java processes | comments
   1               |          1           |         25          | can't
get a page
   1               |          2           |         27          | pages
served to 1 session
   2               |          4           |         31
   4               |          4           |         31          | slow
response, 1 session at a time
   4               |          7           |         31          | 3
sessions respond, 4 add'l java procs created
   5               |          7           |         31          | same
as above
   4               |         20          |         31          | 5
sessions respond (all tested), 9 add'l java procs

So….. First question:  why are there so many java processes when I
specify only a few minProcessors (i.e. 1 minProc, 1 maxProc, 6 virtual
hosts - I would expect 6 java sessions)?  Second question: why isn't the
number of initial java processes a linear relationship relative to the
number of minProcessors specified?

I'm concerned about this because in the end, only about half the
processes are ever used, but they all take up a significant amount of
memory.  How do I reduce the memory utilization?

Thanks,
Scott Queen