tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bob Jacoby" <RJac...@tceq.state.tx.us>
Subject RE: Security Hole - server.xml
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:10:06 GMT
I consider things like this. By encrypting the password I'm protecting against casual learning
of the password. I'm not really referring to hackers, but administrators of the system. There's
a big difference between a hacker and an administrator. What if I need the administrator to
add a new entry? Do I tell him to not look at the other entries or hold up some Men in Black
gizmo after he's done to make him forget what he saw? How can I prove that the admin knowingly
looked at the file to get the passwords as opposed to just making a mistake? If the passwords
are encrypted the administrator would have to take a deliberate action to learn the passwords
that generally can't be chalked up to a mistake. I think a similar argument applies to why
Unix passwords are encrypted.

By some of the arguments I've seen in response to the original post people seem to think that
if a specific security precaution doesn't absolutely protect the system there's no point in
doing it. By that argument, and given that there are no absolutes with respect to security,
what's the point of implementing any security in the first place? This question is to those
who say it's pointless to encrypt the passwords since they can be discovered via some means
- not a general question of why any security should be implemented. :)

Bob

>>> Greg.Cope@pfizer.com 11/26/03 08:09AM >>>
> From: Curley, Thomas [mailto:thomas.curley@euroconex.com]

> I'd feel more secure with an MD5 or SHA1 encrypted user and
> password that relying on unix file level security - what
> happens if a hacker gets root priv's ?

Er ... Without wishing to flame, but if they've got root priv's they can do
what they like!

They could still sniff the network and get this info what ever the app
server, unless you DB server supports SSL in which case it becomes more
complex.....

Although weblogic appears to encrypt this, if you script the startup, the
admin username/password is still avaliable and hence the encrypted passwords
can be unencrypted (as the app server has to send the password to the DB) -
so you just slow someone down, but if they have some brains will get through
eventually.

Greg