tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Opinions
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2003 04:03:47 GMT
Actually, commons-daemon consists of two separate components.  For *nix,
there is jsvc (and, yes, you can build it for Windows using cygwin, but I
don't really consider that to be Windows support :), and for Windows there
is procrun(w).

There are two of them, since the issues involved are totally different.
Windows will happily allow any user to bind to any port, so the
switch-identity feature of jsvc is largely useless.  On *nix systems, you
can run-at-boot by editing a script in /etc/init.d (and linking to it
accordingly), so procrun's Service-API support is largely useless.

Personally, I think it would be really cool to port procrunw's GUI to
Motif/Gnome/KDE for a jsvcw.  However, since I'm not a commons committer, I
can't say how much attention this would get if somebody actually tried to do
it.

"Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com> wrote in message

Howdy,

>feature natively. Jakarta Commons' deamon  is a unix-only solution (I
>imagine it uses JNI). So its's possible, but not portable. Still an
>advanced language...
>-Vincent.

Aarrggh, Monday morning and I'm already annoyed.  Where did you get the
idea commons-daemon is unix only?  It works on unix and win32 platforms.

Yoav Shapira

sender.  Thank you.