tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas Nybro Bolding" <thomas.bold...@danskebank.dk>
Subject Vedr.: Re: TOMCAT 3.3 crash daily
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 11:59:38 GMT
Hi Sarel,
regarding the jvm settings you might want to look at
http://web.bvu.edu/staff/david/index.jsp?section=software&subsection=tcservcfg&page=overview

from http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/windows.html. I havent tried the
utility myself but has modified the parameters in the Windows registry. To
do that add/change relevant paremeters in HKEY_LOCAL _MACHINE -> SYSTEM ->
CurrentControlSet --> Services -> Apache-Tomcat -> Parameters (using TC
4.1 though...)

The syntax in your case is then -Xms128m -Xmx1024m.

As yoy say DB connections cannot be reset I would make sure the used
connections are being returned to the connection pool or in case you are
not using a pool being closed properly - and then ASAP use connection
pooling instead.

Anyway I would till consider upgrade both the JVM and Tomcat.

Last I should note am not that Tomcat savy so perhaps some of the more
experienced folks in here would shed some light upon this issue...

Best regards Thomas

jerome moliere <jmoliere@nerim.net>
26-11-03 11:48
Besvar venligst til "Tomcat Users List"

        Til:    Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
        cc:
        Vedr.:  Re: TOMCAT 3.3 crash daily

Sarel Bester wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I have an app running on the following config:
>- Windows 2000 Advanced server (Dual PIII 1GHz CPU with 4GB RAM)
>- IIS 5
>- Tomcat 3.3 (NOT 3.3.x)
>- ISAPI redirector 1.2 (size = 128K)
>- JDK 1.3.1_09
>- Oracle 8.1.7
>
>Tomcat is locking up almost everyday.  Log files show a lot of bad DB
>connections that cannot be reset.  The app that I deployed gets connected
>by about 130 - 140 users at peak times (which doesn't really seem to be
that
>much.....).
>
>Some advice that I received (not in the Tocat user forum) is the
following :
>A)  Confirm that TC uses "Server" version of JVM.  (I presume this is the
>jvm.dll in the JAVA_HOME\JRE\BIN\SERVER folder?)
>I found the following line in the workers.properties :
>worker.inprocess.jvm_lib=$(workers.java_home)$(ps)jre$(ps)bin$(ps)classic$(p
>s)jvm.dll
>
>I changed it to :
>worker.inprocess.jvm_lib=$(workers.java_home)$(ps)jre$(ps)bin$(ps)server$(ps
>)jvm.dll
>
>Is this the correct place to make TC 3.3 use "Server" version of JVM?

oops, there's a more trivial way for getting the JVM use server option,
that is to say give the -server option to the java program while
invoking (see your scripts catalina.bat)

>B) Set memory parameters -Xms and - Xmx to allocate TC more memory.
>I am not sure where to do this . . .:-0
>
>I have seen in this forum previously that someone said it must be
specified
>in the "start parameters" in the General Tab screen of the Tomcat Service
>properties.  Is it possible to specify these parameters in the
>wrapper.properties file (which seem to be used by the Tomcat service for
>startup)?
>
>What is the correct place to do this?  Even registry perhaps . . . ?
>
>Is this exact syntax correct for the Windows OS?  -Xms128 -Xmx1024

like for your first question this is not a directly related question
about tomcat but a question regarding howto setup/tune options to your
JVM....
java -help will give you any details...

>I am not very experienced in using Tomcat and is hesitant to Upgrade to,
say
>, 4.1x.  But if you reckon it maybe a better alternative, I will
certainly
>consider.

I can't recommand you enough to look for JVM configurations tricks & to
ask about changing your JVM. I think that BEA Jrockit or latest JVM from
Sun could be good solutions...
Note that with BEA JVM the -option is deprecated , so leaving the
default parameter (jrockit) is a good choice
HTH
Jerome

--
Auteur cahier du programmeur Java tome 2 - Eyrolles 10/2003
http://www.eyrolles.com/php.informatique/Ouvrages/ouvrage.php3?ouv_ean13=9782212111941

<FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial">_______________
Vi goer opmaerksom paa, at denne e-mail kan indeholde fortrolig information. Hvis du ved en
fejltagelse modtager e-mailen, beder vi dig venligst informere afsender om fejlen ved at bruge
svar-funktionen. Samtidig beder vi dig slette e-mailen i dit system uden at videresende eller
kopiere den.
Selv om e-mailen og ethvert vedhaeftet bilag efter vores overbevisning er fri for virus og
andre fejl, som kan paavirke computeren eller it-systemet, hvori den modtages og laeses, aabnes
den paa modtagerens eget ansvar. Vi paatager os ikke noget ansvar for tab og skade, som er
opstaaet i forbindelse med at modtage og bruge e-mailen.
Please note that this message may contain confidential information. If you have received this
message by mistake, please inform the sender of the mistake by sending a reply, then delete
the message from your system without making, distributing or retaining any copies of it.
Although we believe that the message and any attachments are free from viruses and other errors
that might affect the computer or IT system where it is received and read, the recipient opens
the message at his or her own risk. We assume no responsibility for any loss or damage arising
from the receipt or use of this message.
</FONT>