tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Thomas.Gau...@cellzome.com
Subject Authenticator valve at the host level, not possible?
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:19:05 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to implement my own authentication system (extending
AuthenticatorBase).
I would like this valve to be set up at the host level so my server.xml,
looks like

<Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"  unpackWARs="true"
autoDeploy="true">
        <Context path="/myContext" docBase="ina" debug="0">
                        <Manager
classname="org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager" pathname="" />
                        <Logger
className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger" directory="logs"
prefix="myLog." suffix=".log" timestamp="true"/>
                </Context>
directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_log." suffix=".txt" timestamp="true"/>
                <Valve className="com.mycompany.MyAuthenticator"
debug="10" myParam1="p1" myParam2="p2"/>
</Host>

When I try to start my tomcat, it crashes at startup with the following :

Catalina.start: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Configuration error:
Must be attached to a Context
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Configuration error:  Must be attached
to a Context
        at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java:2540)
        at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java:2566)
        at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.endElement(Digester.java:1061)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown
Source)
        at

Source)
        at
Source)
Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1548)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:449)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
        at
        at
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)

First question : Am I trying to do it in the bad way?
Second question : What can be the reason why it crashes when I attach my
valve to the host but starts normally when I attach it to the context?

Thanks for giving opinions.

PS : any link to information related to custom authentication in tomcat is
welcome!!!

Cheers,

Thomas