tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Murray" <mp...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject RE: ssl problem with certain browsers / os versions
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:50:39 GMT
Known bug using IE and SSL other than on port 443.  Assuming you have used
the defaults you will be using SSL on port 8443 for Tomcat and IE won't do
the redirect unless you specify https://tomcat:8443/etc.  I'll take a guess
that your application works fine with Netscape!

The easiest solution is to reconfigure your Tomcat to use port 443 for SSL
requests and then everything works fine.  Otherwise, drop Mr. Gates a line
and ask him to get it fixed.

Murray
-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Beattie [mailto:Dave.Beattie@TFSICAP.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, 11 November 2003 03:33
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: ssl problem with certain browsers / os versions

Hi

I have a webapp configured to be accessed through an SSL connector and it
works when I use an IE6 browser on Windows XP. However, if I try to access
the same site from IE6 on NT 4 or Windows 98, something fails in the SSL
handshake and I cannot access any of the pages on my site. I installed all
the latest OS patches on the clients and then it works fine. However, I
cannot rely on all my clients having all the latest OS updates, especially
since these older OS machines were perfectly capable of accessing other SSL
sites without being updated.

Has anyone experienced similar problems,or know what the problem is? I am
running tomcat 4.1.29 on linux with Sun's JDK 1.4.2 (although the same
problem occurs running Tomcat on NT4)

Thanks

Dave