tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "D'Alessandro, Arthur" <Arthur.Dalessan...@cbetech.com>
Subject RE: TC Case Sensitivity Question
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:38:01 GMT
Same line of question, how do tomcat web admins present URL's?  Is there
a defacto standard for tomcat web developers that only upper, lower, or
camel notation.... From and end users perspective, having to alter case
for a web URL is a hassle, and in most cases would yield a 404 because
of disregard of said case.  Just looking for insight on how people
handle the general computer user out there.

-Art

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 10:45 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: TC Case Sensitivity Question

Art,
> Can anyone provide better insight on how to remove case sensitivity
> from the configuration?

Ugh. Well, URLs are case-sensitive by the spec, so I'm not sure why
you'd want to do this...

> or examples on how to bypass; I did see a 404 redirector, but that
> sounds awfully unnecessary.

The 404 redirector is not what you want... I don't even know how you'd
change this. I guess you could store everything on the filesystem as
lower-case, and make all your URLs lowercase, and then intercept any
URLs, say, using a Filter, and then change the URL...

That might be even too far down the pipeline to intercept and translate
any URLs, though.

Same goes for a web server. You'd have to seriously hack the web server
to do the same thing.

-chris