tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Dies
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:46:08 GMT

Howdy,

>Thanks for the reply.  Here is how I have the JAVA_OPTS set
up("-Xmx256m
>-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+PrintGCDetails") I wanted you to see this
>incase there is a problem with the concurrent GC collector.

If there's a problem with the concurrent GC collector, I don't know of
it.  I assume that you've spent considerable time and research before
selecting the current maximum heap and collector.

It's not my, or anyone's on this list, place to tell you what GC
settings to use.  You need to:
- Determine the expect load on your system
- Determine how much memory your application requires to serve the
expected load
- Allocate that much memory to the JVM.

If someone in your organization had done this analysis and come up with
256MB, then either:
- His or her analysis was wrong
- His or her analysis has become outdated as your application has
matured
- You have a memory leak.

If you have a leak then yes, setting the heap higher just means a longer
time until the server dies.  This is why leaks must be fixed.

Yoav Shapira