tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: OutOfMemory Error in Catalina
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:28:00 GMT

Howdy,

>I tried to increase the heap size to 1200 MB in catalina.sh file
>(JAVA_OPTS="-Xms64m -Xmx1200m"), It didn't work. I was suggested one
more

It didn't work in what way?  Did the JVM actually allocate 1200MB and
then die with an OutOfMemoryError, or did it never allocate that much
(e.g. because they're not that much physical memory).

>way is to increase the server's maximum file descriptor limit. But I
don't
>know where to increase this limit.

Then find out how, e.g. by reading your server's docs.  It's usually
ulimit on unix systems.

>Apart from that, is there any other way
>/ utility to find out the root cause of OOM in catalina.out log file.

Yes, it's a called a Profiler, preferably one that will give you heap
snapshot deltas like OptimizeIt.  But if your problem is at the OS level
such as by having too few file descriptors, a profiler won't help you.
Also know that a profiler requires much more memory be allocated to the
JVM to support JVMPI overhead.

Yoav Shapira