tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <>
Subject RE: Worrying problem
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:03:30 GMT

>2 -3 times by day. I don't know exactly what is causing the problem.
>I can't reproduce that.

You're going to have a tough time getting help solving a problem you
can't reproduce.

>>Is there a correlation between high load on your system
>>and a high number of threads?  There should be.
>CPU was 70% free.

I didn't ask about the CPU load: I meant users hitting your webapp.  The
70% CPU free doesn't mean much, because your apps may not be CPU-bound.

>>By how much does the
>>number of threads exceed your maxProcessors as configured in
>In server.xml maxProcessors="75" for but there is about 90 threads in
>system (ps -ef).

This is why I was asking about the user load.  If there's a high load,
and tomcat created 75 request processing threads, 90 is not a surprising
number of total threads.  You always have a handful from the VM.  You
can see what threads are present using kill -s QUIT <processId>.

>>The tomcat shutdown script (I don't know what tomcat4 stop is) will
>>down the tomcat engine itself.
>It's equivalent to stop. I never use

Why not use, since that just calls stop mostly,
if your script is truly equivalent?

>I don't create any threads.

Can you say the same for the 3rd party code you use, if any?

Yoav Shapira

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message