tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <>
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:57:39 GMT

>I have an instance of MyMailScheduler - mmsched in a ContextListener
>class for my webapp. mmsched spawns threads to do some work regarding
>sending emails. In my contextDestroy method I do : mmsched = null;

mmsched should have a close()/stop()/shutdown() method which stops its
threads.  You call this method, and then set mmsched to null.

>I was under the impression that if tomcat was shutdown or the webapp
>was stopped my threads would be automatically killed since mmsched
>would be garbage collected. Am I understanding this right or do I need
>to do something else ?

The JVM can't stop non-daemon threads.  Either make mmsched spawn daemon
threads, or make the mmsched stop() method interrupt and stop all its

>  My webapp does two mail related tasks for two different sets of data.
>Both tasks are identical and therefore I spawn two threads. The two
>threads do not share any data structures. Also do I need to make the
>run() method synchronized ?

You don't need to make the run() method synchronized.

Yoav Shapira

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message