tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Problems launching Tomcat 4.1.29...
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:09:45 GMT

Howdy,

>It appears that Tomcat 4.1.29 brings the MBeans architecture (from
Tomcat
>5.x) into its invocation process.  I'm not sure if it was intentional
>bring the MBeans architecture into Tomcat 4.1.x or not...

A change of this magnitude doesn't happen accidentally ;)

>I discovered this when I attempted to start Tomcat 4.1.29 using the
Sysdeo
>Tomcat Launcher plug-in for Eclipse.  I had to tell the Tomcat Launcher
>(Windows/Preferences/Tomcat) to treat Tomcat 4.1.29 as a Tomcat 5.x
>version.

Thanks for posting the temporary workaround solution.  I'm sure Sysdeo
will update their plugin, they've done such a great job with it ;)

>Hypothetical question:  Will application servers which run Tomcat 4.1.x
>embedded break if they are upgraded to Tomcat 4.1.29?  Just a thought
(and
>perhaps a caveat).

Good question.  It's up to the application server's developers to test
the embedded tomcat before they ship their server ;)  If, for example,
you're using JBoss 3.x with tomcat 4.1.27 and decide to update to tomcat
4.1.29 without changing the rest of JBoss, you leave it up to yourself
to test the combined server and make it work ;)

Yoav Shapira