tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dave Morrow <david.mor...@autodata.net>
Subject Apache Virtual Hosts with Tomcat behind Localdirector
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:50:14 GMT
I have 2 Apache2 webservers each running multiple virtual hosts on different
ports (with a single IP address on each server) integrated with Tomcat using
mod_jk2

My Apache virtual hosting is setup as;

<VirtualHost *:8000>
    ServerAdmin david.morrow@autodata.net
    DocumentRoot /var/www/website1.mycompany.com
    ServerName mywebsite1.mycompany.com
    ErrorLog logs/mywebsite1.mycompany.com-error_log
    CustomLog logs/mywebsite1.mycompany.com-access_log common
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:8001>
    ServerAdmin david.morrow@autodata.net
    DocumentRoot /var/www/website2.mycompany.com
    ServerName mywebsite2.mycompany.com
    ErrorLog logs/mywebsite2.mycompany.com-error_log
    CustomLog logs/mywebsite2.mycompany.com-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

The configuration is working fine. For example, I can connect to
http://server1:8000/MyApp1 <http://server1:8000/MyApp1>  and
http://server2:8001/MyApp2 <http://server2:8001/MyApp2>

I have configured the uri statements in the workers2.properties files such
that /MyApp1 is only accessible to the website on port 8000 as such;
[uri:*:8000/MyApp1/*]
[uri:*:8001/MyApp2/*]

Now, here is where I run into difficulties.  I am running a Cisco
Localdirector in front of these 2 webservers in order to provide port
mapping, load balancing etc.  For example, the local director receives
traffic on a virtual address (on port 80) and redirects traffic to the
appropriate web site (on a different port).  The problem is that the
Apache/Tomcat integration somehow breaks at this point (although pure http
traffic redirects properly).  I should mention here that if I configure a
webapp on the default virtual host in Apache, the re-direction through the
localdirector works fine.  It only breaks when I use a port based virtual
host in Apache.

If anyone else out there has done something similar, I would really
appreciate some assistance.

David Morrow
Systems Technical Lead, IT Operations
P: (519) 951-6079
F: (519) 451-6615
mailto: david.morrow@autodata.net <mailto:david.morrow@autodata.net>

......poor planning on your part does not make an emergency on my

 This message has originated from Autodata Solutions.  The attached material
is the Confidential and Proprietary Information of Autodata Solutions. This
email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you
have received this email in error please delete this message and notify the
Autodata system administrator at  Administrator@autodata.net
<mailto:Administrator@autodata.net <mailto:Administrator@autodata.net> >