tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Curley, Thomas" <thomas.cur...@euroconex.com>
Subject RE: Security Hole - server.xml
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:53:22 GMT
I'd feel more secure with an MD5 or SHA1 encrypted user and password that relying on unix file
level security - what happens if a hacker gets root priv's ?

thanks

Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Funk [mailto:funkman@joedog.org]
Sent: 26 November 2003 13:51
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Security Hole - server.xml

The username and password still need decrypted at some time. It just makes
the attacker jump through 1 hoop.

Using file permissions on the config file as well and server security are the
ways to go.

-Tim

Curley, Thomas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A direct question arising from a security review :-
>
>  Using a datasource it is possible to remove the 'username', 'password' or at least encrypt
them using someting like MD5

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s).If you receive this email in error please notify emailadmin@euroconex.com and
delete it from your system. Any unauthorized dissemination, retransmission, or copying of
this email and any attachments is prohibited. Euroconex does not accept any responsibility
for any breach of confidence, which may arise from the use of email. Please note that any
views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of the Company. This message has been scanned for known computer viruses.