tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Justin Ruthenbeck <just...@nextengine.com>
Subject Re: How jasper determines when to use default package org.apache.jsp when translating jsps to servlets?
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2003 22:03:19 GMT

Filip Hanik has posted a build script that does a deployment-time
compilation of all JSP files in an app -- sounds like what you're looking
for.  I haven't used it, but it's a pretty common request on the list and
it seems his solution has worked well for people.

You can check it out here:
http://cvs.apache.org/~fhanik/precompile.html

justin

At 01:08 PM 11/20/2003, you wrote:
>Tomcat 4.1/Windows XP
>
>I am working on the ant script that should precompile all jsp pages
>for a given web application. I used build.xml from Tomcat documentation
>as starting point. After running ant I found that some of the translated
>and compiled jsp pages are not working.
>
>For some reason when the jsp pages are translated/compiled by
>tomcat/jasper runtime the generated servlets sometimes contain package
>statement set to the default package like:
>package org.apache.jsp;
>
>and sometimes the generated servlet's package statement is determined
>based on the physical location of the jsp page in the web application tree.
>
>The build.xml I created always updates generated servlets with the
>package statement based on the jsp location in the web application
>directory tree.
>
>Ex.
>
>For the jsp located in <webapp>/agentHome the build.xml outputs package
>statement
>
>package agentHome;
>
>which causes exception
>
>javax.servlet.ServletException: org/apache/jsp/nbpDefault_jsp (wrong
>name: layouts/nbpDefault_jsp)
>at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:249)
>at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
>at
>org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher=
>.java:684)
>……
>

>If the package statement is replaced with
>
>package org.apache.java;
>
>Everything works.
>
>Any suggestions?

Justin Ruthenbeck