tomcat-users mailing list archives

From (Yavor Trapkov)
Subject tomcat 4.1.29 and static content in non Latin (ISO-8895-1) characters
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 08:15:58 GMT

I red some similar problems reported, but I'd like to post my question to the tomcat user

I have an existing static documents (something.html) which has to be seen in Cyrillic (Windows-1251).

An appropriate meta tag is included to tell the browser to use the right charset:

Seems the new html connector (coyote 1.1) that comes with tomcat 4.1.29 strictly follows the
standard and returns HTTP Header
"if no character encoding has been specified".
The browser is forced to show the Cyrillic in ISO-8859-1. I suppose any other non latin languages
have the same problem.

JSP pages works fine if
<%@ page contentType= "text/html; charset=Windows-1251"  is specified.

The same problem appears with filters (like sitemesh for example), as far as the content comes
from a static .html it's not shown properly even with <%@ page contentType directive specified.

Does anyone found out a solution of this problem or are there any plans tomcat to support
"static non latin content".

Many Thanks
Yavor Trapkov

To unsubscribe, e-mail: