tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Atreya Basu <>
Subject Form based authentication
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:01:00 GMT
Hi all,

I thought I would share some of my experiences with JDBCRealm 

First what I wanted to do was see if JDBCRealm based authentication even 
worked.  All I got was Tomcat quitting.  My first problem was that my 
web.xml file wasn't in the right order.  I went to BEA's website and 
used their web.xml file explanation page to get all of the spelling and 
order of the elements right. 
But Tomcat still wasn't running.  It turned out my second problem was 
that for some reason the MySQL JDBC driver wasn't being found, even 
though I had placed it in the common\lib directory.  So I edited the 
catalina file manually and added in the jar file.

Next whenever I would authenticate I would get a stylesheet instead of 
my intended destination.  Then one time I authenticated and accidentally 
hit the login page.  It showed me a different styled login page.

That happened because my stylesheet was kept inside the context 
directory it wasn't being retrieved till I authenticated.  So instead of 
pulling up index.html after I authenticate it pulled up the stylesheet 
because my browser was waiting to load that file.  Solution of course 
was to place the stylesheet in an unsecure directory.

I hope that someone finds this useful.


Atreya Basu
Greenfield Research Inc.
e-mail: atreya (at) greenfieldresearch (dot) ca

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message