tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Atreya Basu <atr...@greenfieldresearch.ca>
Subject Form based authentication
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:01:00 GMT
Hi all,

I thought I would share some of my experiences with JDBCRealm
authentication.

First what I wanted to do was see if JDBCRealm based authentication even
worked.  All I got was Tomcat quitting.  My first problem was that my
web.xml file wasn't in the right order.  I went to BEA's website and
used their web.xml file explanation page to get all of the spelling and
order of the elements right.
But Tomcat still wasn't running.  It turned out my second problem was
that for some reason the MySQL JDBC driver wasn't being found, even
though I had placed it in the common\lib directory.  So I edited the
catalina file manually and added in the jar file.

Next whenever I would authenticate I would get a stylesheet instead of
my intended destination.  Then one time I authenticated and accidentally
hit the login page.  It showed me a different styled login page.

That happened because my stylesheet was kept inside the context
directory it wasn't being retrieved till I authenticated.  So instead of
pulling up index.html after I authenticate it pulled up the stylesheet
because my browser was waiting to load that file.  Solution of course
was to place the stylesheet in an unsecure directory.

I hope that someone finds this useful.

Cheers,

--
Atreya Basu