tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: session invalidation and <%@ page session=false %>
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:49:46 GMT
Yes, but there it is just used in a call to JspFactory.getPageContext()
where the J2EE documentation says the needsSession parameter should be
true if the JSP participates in a session.

I wonder whether the session is always created by default or whether it
sometimes honestly doesn't get created if there's no call to
request.getSession(true).

Adam

On 11/27/2003 02:48 PM Ben Souther wrote:
> Remember, all JSPs get converted to servlets before being compiled.
> If you want to see how to mimick JSP functionality in a servlet, look at the
> generated servlet code in your TOMCAT_HOME/work directory.
>

> On Thursday 27 November 2003 07:24 am, you wrote:
>
>>I'm wondering what the servlet equivalent of <%@ page session=false %>
>>would be.
>>
>>After all the discussion here about disabling URL rewriting, I have
>>knocked up a filter to overwrite the response so that encodeUrl() is
>>no-op'd (thanx Brice) for requests from callers like google that can't
>>handle or don't need a session.
>>
>>In the same filter I can invalidate the session after the call to
>>chain.doFilter() so that the sessions created don't hang around.
>>
>>However it seems an awkward solution, since the session is used
>>throughout the servlet - I thought I could use session.invalidate() just
>>to kill off the session right away and then do a test on the session
>>wherever I need it to see if it is valid or present.
>>
>>The only test I can do to identify an invalidated session is to try
>>catch on an IllegalStateException on any session method call, but that's
>>goes against my philosophy.
>>
>>If I overwrite the request as well and override the getSession() to
>>return null, is that going to present any unforeseen issues on these
>>requests that need no session? Or is there a better way of mimicking <%@
>>page session=false %> ?
>>

>>Adam

struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.14 + java 1.4.2