tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Marten Lehmann <lehm...@cnm.de>
Subject changing user/group tomcat is running as
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 22:37:55 GMT
Hello,

after almost comleting Oreilly's "Tomcat - The Definitive Guide", the
only thing mentioned there about changing the user tomcat is running as
is to put it into a chroot-environment, whereby the chroot is not as
important as changing the user and group in the same step. Without doing
chroot-things, I likewise could use "su tomcat -c ./startup.sh", right?
But no matter if I use chroot or su to do this, I have the drawback,
that I can't use port 80 for http nor 433 for https, because access to
this is restricted to the root user. Is there any way to change the user
after tomcat has start up like the User and Group directives in
apache-httpd? Running tomcat as root seems like a security flaw to me. I
don't want to set up an additional apache-httpd at port 80 and 443 which
communicates with tomcat on ports > 1023. Any ideas?

Regards
Marten