tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: Security Hole - server.xml
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:02:02 GMT
To connect to a database, you need the *real* userid password. (IIRC) SHA1
and MD5 are both one way hashes so you can't use it to for database connectivity.

The only feasible alternative (which isn't present in tomcat) is too force a
password to be entered by keyboard on tomcat startup to allow decryption of
passwords. (Like protected keys for ssl)

-Tim

Curley, Thomas wrote:

> I'd feel more secure with an MD5 or SHA1 encrypted user and password that relying on
unix file level security - what happens if a hacker gets root priv's ?

> thanks
>
> Thomas

encrypt them using someting like MD5

> This email and any attachments are confidential and intended for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s).If you receive this email in error please notify emailadmin@euroconex.com
and delete it from your system. Any unauthorized dissemination, retransmission, or copying
of this email and any attachments is prohibited. Euroconex does not accept any responsibility
for any breach of confidence, which may arise from the use of email. Please note that any
views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of the Company. This message has been scanned for known computer viruses.