tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Yonatan Goraly <ygor...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Slow on Linux
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:55:09 GMT
The same application is deployed on multiple Windows boxes, with
excellent performance (unless there is a heavy DB query involved, with a
fast network and client machine the response seems to be instant with
servers that should be dwarfed by this one).
As we start to provide hosted services, the cost of the OS and DB become
significant, that is the reason for evaluating Linux. I have selected
AMD Opteron since I know that I can fall back to 32 bit OS if the 64 bit
is not stable, and that it performs very well in that scenario. I
started with Mandrake since it was possible to download ISO images, but
I have also ordered an AMD 64 version of SUSE LINUX, since they have
better support for that platform.
Just to be able to compare, I will install Windows 2000 on the server as
well.
IMHO, if the performance I see is within the expected range, Windows is
a much better OS for that purpose.
I have read about performance issues related to Java java using OS
threads in Linux, that should be resolved in the 2.6 version of the
kernel - might that be related? Red hat have published that they have a
solution implemented in their current products, the only problem is that
the price is high