tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@jboss.org>
Subject Re: tomcat stats and performances
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:52:10 GMT
arinsoun@gyc.es wrote:
> Hi to all, I have two questions. We have Tomcat as server for a struts web
> application.

First, don't crosspost. Thanks.

> - We need do stats for that web application, stats like  what pages user
> enter, who user enter more to the application, performance stats ... I have
> seen that one choice is do a manual filter, other choice use awstats.  I
> would appreciate information about that of someone that have experiencia on
> stats, and he can help me to choose the best choice on time and effort.

You should use Tomcat 5 and precompile your web application to do that
so that your JSPs are mapped as individual servlets. You can do that
using the Tomcat 5 deployer tool.

The status servlet will then display statistics for the HTTP connector
and the indivudual webapps and servlets.

> - The second question is about performance, here we have tomcat and when
> most user enter to the application the server don't reply very well. I have
> read that is better have APACHE as web server and TOMCAT as server
> container, is that true?  would I improve the performance? or the solution
> is customize tomcat better?.

Tomcat HTTP has lower latency than JK, so you'll get better performance
with HTTP unless there are very few requests for dynamic content. Tomcat
5 is also a little bit faster than TC 4.1. However, I think your
bottlenecks come from either your application, the database setup you're
using, or too little bandwidth (if you have a public site).

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat