tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Antonio Fiol Bonnín <fiol.bon...@terra.es>
Subject Re: When is Tomcat 5 Release version scheduled to come out?
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:13:13 GMT

Hello,

I'll begin from the end...

I did not present evidence, that is true, but I explained the symptoms.
I tested three configurations:

1 Apache + 1 Tomcat;    1 Apache + 2 Tomcat;    1 Apache + 3 Tomcat

All three gave me very similar performance results. Measurement tool was
"JMeter". Difficult pages were generated faster using three tomcats than
using one tomcat, and trivial pages were faster with one tomcat.

Probably all this is due to the overhead of replicating the sessions,
but I am not sure.

We also used Apache AB to test it. We did it against one nearly static
JSP page. With low concurrency levels (less than 5), 2 tomcats give more
throughput than one. With higher concurency levels (5 or more), 2
tomcats give worse throughput.

Probably, again, I think, because of the overhead of creating hundreds
of sessions and replicating them. But, again, I am not sure.

So, coming back to the beginning...

I expect people to say:

- "Hi! I am using it for reliability, but you are right and we see no
increase on performance here" (experience - bad)
- "Hello, we found that if you change parameter "foo" to have value
"bar", you will get a huge increase on performance" (facts)
- "Dear Antonio, use sticky sessions for better performance" (advice)
- "Antonio, your test tool is crap. Use "foobarMatic" to test. Our tests
gave results X, Y, and Z." (opinion and facts)
- "Hi! We use session replication and get huge performance increase. I
can't see why you don't. Here is my server.xml so you can compare it to
yours." (experience - good)

You see, I am open to a variety of kinds of comments. Of course "It is
great, use it..." will not help a lot without "... use it this way
better than that", but if someone says "It is great", I will probably
send him private e-mail, and when/if we reach a good conclusion on why
facts are different, I promise I will post our conclusion here so that
it can be documented.

Thank you for your interest!

Antonio Fiol

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

>Howdy,
>Umm, what are you looking for people to say?  "It's great, use it" doesn't help you.
Yet you don't present any evidence that it's not great.  What are you experiencing, and why?