tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schu...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Bit off topic : What happened to RedHat?
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:51:27 GMT
> Hi, does anyone know what happened to RedHat?
 > Haven't used it for a while and it seems they are no more.

Yeah, they decided to stop giving away their operating system under the
name RedHat. RH 9 is the last one. You can still purchase RedHat
Enterprise, of course. They're not going out of business, just changing
the way they do business. And since they are legally required to give it
away in some form of another (it is a derivative work), they have
created the Fedora project (http://fedora.redhat.com/). Apparently,
reviews of the "Core 1", released just recently, where pretty weak.

> Also, I run JVM and TC4 on RH7.1 kernel 2.4.2 and thinking about RH9,
> but someone said that's the last version and there won't be a
> *stability* version coming out after that.

You should upgrade to *anything* from RH 7.1. I assume that you have the
"oops, we hosed glibc" RPM upgrade already. RH 7.1 was probably the
worst release of RH ever. I've used 7.3 on many servers running
Java/Tomcat apps, and it does just fine. RH 8 and RH 9 were pretty much
desktop releases, designed to work with more hardware and have nicer
GUIs. Assuming that you're running a server, there's very little
difference between 7.3, 8.0, and 9. Of course, the newer ones have newer
kernels, but in general you can upgrade those yourself.

> Also, rumour has it RH8 is full of bugs?

This isn't my experience, but I don't use a lot of the stuff that comes
with RH. Pretty much just the raw network stuff and bash. :)

One reason to go with RH 9 is the fact that it will be supported for a
bit longer: RH 8.0 and earier will lose support (that is, RPM patches)
on 31 December of this year. RH 9 will survive until April 2004.

Or, you could bail on RH and go with another Distro. Feel free to start
a flame war by asking which one :)

-chris