tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: automate login to other opensource apps
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:34:59 GMT
If you are using CMS then you must realise that the realm and the login
info from j_username etc are held seperately in tomcat from your app.

In the realm implementation that is run by tomcat at login, you have no
access to the request or the session (although you could stick it in a
hashmap in a singleton or JNDI space = dirty great hack).

In the app, the only way of finding out what your user entered is to
call request.getUserPrincipal or .getRemoteUser() or .isUserInRole().

So basically you can find out the name. You then have to query the realm
in your app to find out more info about them, e.g. password. If it is
stored in MD5, then you've got problems. You cannot intercept the submit
to j_security_check

I think single-sign-on above and beyond tomcat SSO is in the pipeline
for the long term though.

HTH
Adam