tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: https --> http session problem
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:56:14 GMT
On 11/17/2003 06:32 AM Andrew Mottaz wrote:
>> http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla.  However, there aren't very many
>> developers who like the idea of allowing you to hang yourself :).
>>
> Thanks much for the tip -- I have to disagree about this not being a
> necessary change.  There are plenty of apps where people browse without
>  a secure connection, but have to log in to perform some functions.
> Users like to bookmark pages -- why should I force them to bookmark only
> non-secure pages? Giving a developer control over how session cookies
> function is better than forcing a hack where you have to always redirect
> to a non-secure page to establish the session.  If you are writing an
> application where the session data is so sensitive that you have to
> protect against session hijacking, you should know about the difference
> between secure and non-secure cookies.  I've got no problem if the
> default behavior uses secure cookies when ever possible, but change the
> "Session uses cookie" parameter to have a flag that allows session
> cookies to always be non-secure.

Andrew,
what reason is there for preventing users from bookmarking secure pages?
  I don't follow you there.

Also, as far as I can see, the java community has decided that once you
start a secure session, you should stay in a secure session, for various
security reasons. Are you doing a secure login and then redirecting back
to http afterwards?

Adam
--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2