tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mike Klein <mikekl...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Problems with tomcat server hostname mapping and ant tasks...server redirect problems
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:38:32 GMT
As my tomcat is behind a firewall and not publicly visible (I use Apache
connector) I had selected localhost as the engine name and host name.

All of my tomcat functionality is working: manager, admin, jsps under
docroot, axis, struts, blah blah.

My tomcat version is 4.1.27, and it is using an internal ip of
192.168.1.2 and internal hostname of mother.

For some reason, when I attempt using the tomcat ant list task from a
remote laptop, I get the message:

tools\build.xml [177] java.net.ProtocolException: Server redirected too
many  times (20)

It doesn't work whether I give a url of "http://mother:8080/manager" or
"http://192.168.1.2:8080/manager". I have tried changing engine's
defaultHost and host names to "localhost", "mother", and "192.168.1.2"
to no avail.

Yet I can remotely (via internal lan) issue the manager list command
from any of my web browsers and it works just fine.

The following is output from catalina_ log:

2003-11-14 12:46:06 StandardEngine[Standalone]: Mapping server name 'mother'
2003-11-14 12:46:06 StandardEngine[Standalone]:  Trying a direct match
<goes on 18 more times>

Based on my understanding of host mapping, if request doesn't match a
specific host name, then defaultHost property of engine is used. This
doesn't seem to be happening though.

It seems the ant task functionality has worked before and as far I know
I haven't made any server.xml changes that would cause it to cease
working. It's wierd that I can invoke this same url from browser and
data is returned.

Any ideas?