tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Antonio Fiol BonnĂ­n <fiol.bon...@terra.es>
Subject Session Replication problems on Tomcat 5.0.12
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:11:14 GMT
Hello,

I am having trouble with Tomcat 5.0.12 session replication under the
following config:

Apache (mod_ssl+mod_jk): 1 load balancer worker configured to balance
among 3 AJP13 workers.
3 Tomcat 5.0.12 servers.

If I use our application on 1 TC5, all goes well. If I start 2 or 3 TC5,
I start getting session replication problems. What we get is an
exception saying that some attribute is not serializable. (I do not have
the logs handy at the moment, as I am writing from home). It happens
under load, but it also can happen with very light number of accesses.

It usually appears (on our app) on a page that sets some session
attributes and sends a redirect. Then the browser requests the
redirected page, and an exception (the one mentioned before) occurs, and
the browser is redirected to an error page, after setting some other
attribute on the session. The error servlet cannot extract the
attributes from the session either.

I have just found a note on http://www.filip.net/tomcat/ saying that
there has been some trouble with session replication and mod_jk on TC4.
Do you know whether this issue may apply to TC 5.0.12?

I also found a couple of somewhat related bugs, but I am clueless about
the degree of relation: the exception did not look the same to me.

I have tried useDirtyFlag="false" just in case there were "dirty
kludges" with session management in our app. It did not help.

I am thinking of using 5.0.14. Do you think it might help?

Our setup corresponds closely with the description found on
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/cluster-howto.html

I am sure I am doing something wrong, but I cannot figure what. I'll be
thankful for any advice or pointer to the "right" document or source.

Thank you very much for your help.

Yours,

Antonio Fiol