tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Gopalakrishnan Govindakrishnan <Gopal.Govindakrish...@Sun.COM>
Subject Tomcat 4.1 -- Newbie Question
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 14:55:45 GMT
Hi:

    I am fairly new to installing and configuring Tomcat. But, 4.1
version seemed easy enough. Thanks. Now, I am not an expert on java or
web apps, but, here's my problem.

    I have a webapp test. I want to deploy it under Tomcat 4.1. I create
the war file with the web.xml under WEB-INF dir and all the exploded
classes under WEB-INF/classes etc. I copied the war file to webapps dir
under tomcat and restarted Tomcat.

    My jsp page pulls up fine, but, the servlet is not being recognized.
Somehow, it seems to me that the web.xml is not being loaded and Tomcat
is yelling at me saying that it cannot find the context.

    So,

    1) Why are my servlets not loaded from web.xml? I was expecting to
see all my servlets and the context in some log file, but, I don't see it.
    2) Why is my welcome-file-list file (index.jsp) not loaded at
context? It shows me a dir listing and I physically type in the
contextpath/index.jsp ...

The same war file works fine under jboss ... but, I would like to deploy
it under Tomcat ...

Any help would be appreciated ..

Thanks
-- Gopal

G. Gopalakrishnan             | Life is not measured by the
Ext - 76967                   | number of breaths we take,
Phone: (303) - 272 - 6967     | but by the moments that
gopal.govindakrishnan@sun.com | take our breath away.