tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Linux Distribution
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2003 13:53:33 GMT
On 11/04/2003 01:43 PM Wade Chandler wrote:
> Actually Red Hat isn't just dropping their free distro.  They are moving
> to a model closer to the model you see right here.
> http://fedora.redhat.com Why not just use that?  You are used to the Red
> Hat setup (I guess).  SuSE is a good distro.  You could also use Debian,
> but you'll find Red Hat and SuSE more commercially supported.  Depends
> on what you need I guess.  You can still download Fedora for free (all
> ISO's).  Their new model is a good thing.  Red Hat developers working
> with the rest of the open source community.  Awesome.  They're more
> open.

That's the first time I've seen anyone say anything good about RedHat
for a while. I've heard some horror stories about RedHat from people
working for RedHat so hearing the other side of the coin is interesting.

What about this:
http://archive.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/01/02/19/010219oppetreley.xml

He says SuSE and all the others need to consolidate a linux standard,
and he also doesn't say anything good about RedHat, he makes them sound
like Microsoft.

Adam

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2