tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Vincent Aumont <vincent.aum...@vsl.ca>
Subject Re: Basic and Form authhentication in the same webapp (revisited). Request for opinions
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 16:11:09 GMT

>> An HTML browser will never require Basic Auth.
>

> ?? Why? I'm missing something here.....in web.xml, what do you do if I
> chose BASIC instead of FORM?

If your browser can accept HTML, then it can use FORM authentication.
It is documented that you must use FORM authentication in web.xml when
you deploy the app.
 Even if you don't, it should still work (as long as you specify the
login and error page in the login-config tag) because teh authenticator
Tomcat creates after reding web.xml is never called. I use web.xml just
to make sure that the LoginConfig  instance that gets passed to my
authenticator contains the right information.

-Vincent.