tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jean-Francois Arcand <jfarc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems launching Tomcat 4.1.29...
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:23:51 GMT

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

>Howdy,
>

>>It appears that Tomcat 4.1.29 brings the MBeans architecture (from
>>

>Tomcat
>

>>5.x) into its invocation process.  I'm not sure if it was intentional

>>bring the MBeans architecture into Tomcat 4.1.x or not...
>>

>A change of this magnitude doesn't happen accidentally ;)

The mbeans architecture was there since a long time.....way before
4.1.29. And Tomcat 5 uses JMX much more that 4.1.x (all its internal
architecture is now based on JMX).

>>I discovered this when I attempted to start Tomcat 4.1.29 using the
>>

>Sysdeo
>

>>Tomcat Launcher plug-in for Eclipse.  I had to tell the Tomcat Launcher
>>(Windows/Preferences/Tomcat) to treat Tomcat 4.1.29 as a Tomcat 5.x
>>version.
>>

>Thanks for posting the temporary workaround solution.  I'm sure Sysdeo
>will update their plugin, they've done such a great job with it ;)
>

>>Hypothetical question:  Will application servers which run Tomcat 4.1.x
>>embedded break if they are upgraded to Tomcat 4.1.29?  Just a thought
>>

>(and
>

>>perhaps a caveat).
>>

>Good question.  It's up to the application server's developers to test
>the embedded tomcat before they ship their server ;)  If, for example,
>you're using JBoss 3.x with tomcat 4.1.27 and decide to update to tomcat
>4.1.29 without changing the rest of JBoss, you leave it up to yourself
>to test the combined server and make it work ;)

The Embedded interface still work as expected althrough the recommended
way it Tomcat 5 is to use JMX instead. But AFAIK, Tomcat 4.1.x should
not suffer any regressions.

-- Jeanfrancois