tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Vincent Aumont <vincent.aum...@vsl.ca>
Subject Re: Opinions
Date Sat, 01 Nov 2003 23:06:36 GMT

>>No, you're right.  You can make Apache listen on port 80 while running
>>as root because it'll change the process' ownership when it opens a
>>new
>>connection. There is no portable way of doing this in Java; therefore,
>>

>Hey! And they call it an advanced language?
>
>P.S.: One or two trolls are hiding in this message, please do NOT feed!

Can't resist the urge to feed that one ;)
It's just that Java being cross-platform and the notion of process owner
being specific to only a few platforms, Java does not suports this
feature natively. Jakarta Commons' deamon  is a unix-only solution (I
imagine it uses JNI). So its's possible, but not portable. Still an
advanced language...
-Vincent.