tomcat-users mailing list archives

From S R <tomcath...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4.1.27/IE 6.0 Lockup
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:16:31 GMT
Chris,

Yup - quite a busy front end! Typically 100 dynamic
objects (images swaps, formatted numbers) displaying
factory data.

Doe anybody have experience of Tomcat being used
24x7x365 for real-time type applications?

 --- Christopher Schultz
<christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net> wrote: > Steve,

> > My application can run for weeks or minutes before
> the
> > user experiences a browser lockup – this can be
> when
> > navigating between jsp’s in my application or
> mostly
> > when a javascript popup window is invoked to view
> some
> > other application data.
>
> Does the browser lock up, or does the app server
> lock up? If it's the
> browser, I'd like to suggest that you may have too
> many moving parts
> running the client site.

Tomcat is fine & other browsers can still connect.
The locked browser must be killed sometimes to get it
to close (really hung).  I could dumb down the
interface as a test.

tool) have been successful for 20 users, so it does
suggest the browser is at fault.

> > The intranet system displays dhtml-rich realtime
> > variables in the browser webpage, using an applet
> > retrieve data periodically from a jsp. The data is
> > pushed into the page using javascript/liveconnect
> > provide dynamic updates.
>
> Yep, lots of moving parts :)
>
> That sounds like a nightmare to manage.
>
> > Generally, server context variables are
> > used to pass data to the JSPs for presenting to
> the
> > browser.
>
> If this is user-specific data you're talking about,
> you should be using
> the session or request scopes for this data.

I do use session scope for the user login credentials,
however the data above is global to the application,
all users should have access to this. One servlet
populates a Hashmap datastore (context variable) which
the jsp reads, formats the data & outputs to the
applet.