tomcat-users mailing list archives

From neal cabage <nealcab...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How to monitor RAM Usage
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:41:45 GMT
Thanks. Out of curiosity, what sort of RAM allocations would you typically do on a production
UNIX machine?  Obviously I don't want to use up all of my memory, but this and mySQL are my
only two production apps.
'
Thanks.
Neal

James Black <jblack@ieee.org> wrote:
neal cabage wrote:

>I'm currently having a problem wherein Tomcat crashes about once per week and gives the
error Java.error.OutOfMemory but I can't see any diagnostics by which to establish any patterns.
I also can't find this information on the Apache site, after having looked for 1/2 hour.

If you use top (on unix) or the taskmanager, on windows, you can see
how large it gets. Most likely you will just need to add a java option
to catalina.sh

try
JAVA_OPTS=-mx512m if you want it to grow to 512megs in size.