tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nadia Kunkov" <nad...@parkerglobal.com>
Subject setting tomcat to listen on port 80
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 18:39:35 GMT
I'd like Tomcat 4 to be listening on port 80. I have changed
server.xml file
to read: <Connector name =
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector   port = 80 >.
I'm running as root, I know only root can access this port.
When I try to start Tomcat (tomcat4 start) I get a message: bind
exception - permission denied:80, bind exception - 8005 address already in use.
So I found a file /etc/tomcat4/tomcat4.conf where I changed tomcat-user to "root".
Now when I try to start Tomcat I only have one error: bind exception 8005 address already
in use.

My httpd is disabled, since we are using Tomcat as web server.
In Firewall configuration I added a line with Accept action for port
80. It created an /etc/sysconfig/ipchains file.
When I ran netstat -tupan I see no entry for port 80. But there is an entry for port 8005
that reads "Java".
Could you explain to me what does it all mean?  I'm pretty new to this stuff so bear with
me. Dies Tomcat need both ports 80 and 8005?  Isn't Java mean Tomcat is listening on 8005?
 Anyway how can I make Tomcat listen on port 80?  Just changing server.xml doesn't seem to
be enough.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
N.K