tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Laurent Michenaud" <lmichen...@adeuza.fr>
Subject RE : A proper way to stop thread ?
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:59:48 GMT
The goal of the timer is to update a cache.

Thanks for the idea of the context listener.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
Envoyé : jeudi 20 novembre 2003 17:30
À : Tomcat Users List
Objet : RE: A proper way to stop thread ?

Howdy,

>We are using Timer in our web application.
>
>We are wondering how to stop the Timer when tomcat shutdown.
>
>For the moment, we add Timer.cancel() in the destroy() of the servlet
>that launches the Timer.
>
>I don't know if it is good or not.
>
>When is a servlet killed ? at tomcat shutdown or when it is not used
>anymore ( GC ) ?

A servlet is normally destroyed on server shutdown.  According to the
servlet specification, however, the container may destroy a servlet if
it needs to as long as it's not in use.

So you may wish to have the Timer shutdown elsewhere, such as in the
contextDestroyed method of a servlet listener.

Alternatively, you can run the Timer in a separate Thread as a daemon,
in which case the JVM will automatically shut it down when it shuts
down.  But you don't want to rely on this unless you have to.

Perhaps the better question is, why are you using such a long-lived
timer?

Yoav Shapira