tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "IvanLatysh" <IvanLat...@yahoo.ca>
Subject Re: [inbox] Tomcat connection limitation [repost]
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 19:23:37 GMT
Hello, epyonne!
You wrote to "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org> on Mon, 3 Nov 2003
11:30:30 -0600:

 e> Does anyone know if Tomcat has limitation on servlet object
 e> instantiation and database connection, without using connection
 e> pooling?
Generally speaking the limit is a Java heap size.
AFAIK:Tomcat do not have restriction on the servlet ojects.

If you don't using any connection pooling you will have so many instances as you created.
But if you are talking about 400-500 concurent users, you should consider pooling as must
have.
Pool will take care of connection time out, and the most important you are not going to produce
a lot of garbage.

 e> We have the option to use Oracle 9i AS because we have the enterprise
 e> license.  I am just wondering if it will be an overkill when a Tomcat
 e> standalone can do the job.  Not to mention I don't have to redeploy
 e> my servlet application if Tomcat can handle the load (i.e. 400-500
 e> concurrent users).
As practice shown, nicely written application can handle hundreds of concurent users on a
regular PC with IDE hard.

---
Regards
Ivan[a]yourmail.com