tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Venkatesh Rachapudi" <venr...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: second try : help needed for tomcat -jsp issue
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:31:49 GMT
Hello  All
Download issue has been resolved,but the problems, the permissions for
one of the virtual directories has been tampered ,( from Scripts and
Executables it has been changed to Scripts only ) in the directory
permissions,

Thanks to all those who replied so swiftly esply to Schalk, Vincent ,
srevilak@g88.net,Chong
Thanks guys for your help,

Really this is a nice forum for any tomcat related problems

Regards
Venkatesh

-----Original Message-----
From: srevilak@g88.net [mailto:srevilak@g88.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 5:19 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: second try : help needed for tomcat -jsp issue

> If you get the download dialog, it is because your customer's browser
> does not know how to display this document (i.e. it does not recognize

> the MIME type) or because it was configured to open a Download dialog
> for this type of document.  For instance, if you send a pdf file and
> the browser is not configured to launch Acrobat Reader for content of
> type application/pdf, the user will get a Download dialog.  As Schalk
> pointed out, we need more information on what you're doing.

In short,

 - what is the value of the Content-Type: header in the HTTP response?
 - if a Content-Disposition header is present in the HTTP response,
   what is its value?

The combination of these two headers tell a user-agent the MIME type of
the response body, and also give suggestions for how the user-agent
should handle it.  From there, it's a matter of how the individual
user-agent is configured.

Using windows as an example, My Computer -> Tools -> folder options ->
file types governs the association between file extensions and MIME
types.

The choice of viewing vs. saving a file should be considered a matter of
user preference.  Some people like to look at .pdfs in their web
browser; others don't.  However, if the viewer's browser is doing the
wrong thing as a result of an improperly-set Content-Type: header, then
this something you can fix.

HTH.

--
Steve