tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Wade Chandler" <wchand...@redesetgrow.com>
Subject RE: Bit off topic : What happened to RedHat?
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:24:33 GMT
In reference to c I'd like to point people to:
Fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives.html  look at number 7.

I think people are getting confused by the new direction and the use of
the words release and update.

Wade

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerald Henriksen [mailto:ghenriks@rogers.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 11:08 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Cc: achana@saysit.com
Subject: Re: Bit off topic : What happened to RedHat?

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:54:01 +1100, you wrote:

>Hi, does anyone know what happened to RedHat, its mailing list and
>forum?

They are all still available through the Red Hat website.

You can also check out http://fedora.redhat.com for more info about the
new distribution Red Hat is putting out.

>Haven't used it for a while and it seems they are no more. Also, I run
>JVM and TC4 on RH7.1 kernel 2.4.2 and thinking about RH9, but someone
>said that's the last version and there won't be a
>*stability* version coming out after that.

Red Hat is splitting into 2 product lines:

1) Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  Available on a subscription bases in both
Workstation and Server versions.  Errata updates available for 5 years
after release.  While Red Hat does not offer binary releases of the
Enterprise Line for download they do go beyond the package license
requirements and offer the source RPMS for download is you can if you
desire simply compile them to create your own version.

2) Fedora Linux.  This is the replacement for the old Red Hat Linux
line, and Fedora Core 1 is equivalent to Red Hat 10 (the testing process
for FC1 actually started out as the beta for RH10).  There are 3 big
changes with Fedora:

a) the name.  Purpose of this is to allow for 3rd parties to make cd's,
etc and distribute them (trademark law prohibited 3rd party making of
Red Hat cdroms and calling them Red Hat when selling them).

b) they will be a lot more aggressive in adding in new software/releases
on a more flexible schedule (ie. releases won't necessarily be 6 months
apart anymore, they will be determined by developments in the Linux
community and not on shifting boxes in the retail channel.  This means
that binary compatibility between releases is no longer guaranteed.

c) given b) support for bug fixes is dramatically shortened.  While Red
Hat 7.* lasted for years support is now for 3 months after the following
release of Fedora.  So support for Fedora Core 1 will end 3 months after
the release of Fedora Core 2.  This makes Fedora unsuitable for most
commercial uses.

>Also, rumour has it RH8 is full of bugs ? Can someone share their
>experience please ?

Red Hat 8 errata ends at the end of December and so should not even be
considered.  The big change in Red Hat 8 that caused some minor problems
for some people was the move to gcc 3.2

Red Hat 9 has errata support until end of March 2004 and is very similar
to Red Hat 8 (major change was the addition of NPTL).