tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Wade Chandler" <wchand...@redesetgrow.com>
Subject RE: Managing DB connections via HttpSessionListener
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:59:41 GMT
Adding another idea,

Use a pool manager with an API for adding a database to the manager.
I'm sure Tomcat has an api as well to hook into the DataSources of a
running instance and edit them...look at the tomcat admin source.  So,
setup your pools to your different database dynamically as they are
opened.....if this is possible for you.  I don't know how many different
dbs there possibly are for your application and what you user load is
projected to be, but sooner or later if this can keep growing your pools
will be taking up more and more memory as more and more pools with their
own numbers of connections and memory usage are added.

Wade

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 8:55 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Managing DB connections via HttpSessionListener

Howdy,
A couple of ideas:

1. If the number of possible DBs is small (and small is objective: I
would do this even if there were five or ten possible DBs), you could
still create pools for them.  They'd probably be very lenient pools (0-1
min connections, short idle time before closing).

2. I don't think doing it in the Session is a great idea.  Sessions are
too long-lived for this: you don't want to hold a connection that long.

Gotta go...

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics