tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Cary_Ander...@dot.ca.gov
Subject Re: jk or jk2
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:38:35 GMT

I actually use the warp connector (mod_webapp.so) to connect to my tomcat
server in most cases. The upside is that it simple to implement.  The
downside is that it no longer being developed.  As far as the connectors jk
vs jk2 go I would probably recommend using jk2 unless you are committed to
an old version of apache.

Another option is to not use connectors at all, use mod_rewrite and do a
reverse proxy.  Here is an example of what I have done in apache to reverse
proxy request to an application server backend.

  <VirtualHost *>
   ServerName YourVirtual.dot.ca.gov
   DocumentRoot /www/pub/tmp
   ErrorLog /usr/local/apache/logs/YourVirtual_errors.log
   CustomLog /usr/local/apache/logs/YourVirtual_access.log combined

   ProxyRequests on
   RewriteEngine on

   RewriteLog /usr/local/apache/logs/unsecured_rewrite.log
   #change the log level to 2 or 3 for production
   RewriteLogLevel 9

   RewriteRule ^/$ http://yourapplicationserver.dot.ca.gov:8080/$1 [NC,P]
   </VirtualHost>

Here is a nice article on using proxy and rewrite to connect to an
application server backend.
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=ApacheModProxy

Cary Anderson
Webteam, IT
CA Dept of Transportation
Sacramento, California
(916) 654-3629
(916) 769-7689

                           Florian

                           Ebeling       To:     Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                    <febeli@yahoo.       cc:

                               de>       Subject:     Re: jk or jk2

                        10/30/2003

                          04:55 AM

                    Please respond

                        to "Tomcat

                       Users List"

Hi,

mod_jk2 is more or less undocumented. If you dont't want to dive into
the C sources, be careful. mod_jk comes with quite solid descriptions.

-Florian