tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Cor Hofman" <chof...@lucris.nl>
Subject RE: Information Push
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:45:16 GMT
Ralf,

Have a look at
http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-03-pushlet.html
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/pushlets

This is a technology using servlets.
I had a play with it and it works just fine.
The only disadvantage is that it keeps connections open on your server.
Which is ok for a few, but if it is to be used by the masses then it might
not be.

Regards,

   Cor.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralf Bierig [mailto:ambiesense@gmx.de]
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 10:47
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Information Push

Hi,

Tomcat works over HTTP and therefore implement the HTTP request / response
pattern which is like an information pull over the internet. For this I
would
for example have a JSP which is requested by a browser, these JSP is callign
some java beans and the information output is put as a HTML and sent back to
the browser. Fine! But...

how can I implement information push? What do I have to do (methodological,
technical) to let my Java software push a website to a browser? I know this
is a very general description but I hope you understand what I mean.

To be more specise, but I do not want to restrict your answer, I could also
think of these variant. I JSP site is requested by a browser. Every few
seconds, the Java bean is producing a new updated version of this output
website.
How would I do this?

However if somebody know a more generic appraoch, please let me know? Is
there a kind of architecture which supports this kind of programming? I
think
the main problem is HTTP since HTTP was not designed for this way of
information provision.

Any help, examples, links etc. would be highly appreciated,
Ralf