tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kenneth Westelinck" <kennywe...@hotmail.com>
Subject Tomcat 4 + ssl + client authentication
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:19:10 GMT
Hi all,

I've been searching the internet for 2 days now and still haven't found a
solution for my problem. I am trying to set up a Tomcat 4 server running in
HTTPS mode, contacted by a client written in Java. The client is using
HTTPClient from apache. I have done everything the document at
http://ws.apache.org/soap/docs/install/FAQ_Tomcat_SOAP_SSL.html describes.
If I disable client authentication in the tomcat config, the client is able
to comunicate with the server. If I enable the authentication the client
aborts with the following exception:
java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: JVM_recv in
socket input stream read

I enabled all possible debugging on the Tomcat server and this is part of
what I found in the console:
Thread-10, WRITE:  SSL v3.1 Handshake, length = 625
Thread-10, READ:  SSL v3.1 Handshake, length = 141
*** Certificate chain
***
Thread-10, SEND SSL v3.1 ALERT:  fatal, description = bad_certificate
Thread-10, WRITE:  SSL v3.1 Alert, length = 2

The client's certificate cannot be bad. It was signed with the server's key
and it's in the server's keystore.

I have no idea what is goin wrong. Can someone tell me how to make this
work?

MTIA

regards,

Kenneth