tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robyne Vaughn" <rvau...@lubbockisd.org>
Subject RE: Tomcat mysteriously stops responding...
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:56:29 GMT
I've had a similar problem and can't figure it out.  I suspect I have a
servlet which isn't closing connections correctly or isn't shutting down
properly and ties up resources.  I havn't found it yet, but someone
suggested poor programming practices from us newbies/unknowledgeables
could be the problem.

Good luck and I hope you find it.
robyne

-----Original Message-----
From: Sonny Sukumar [mailto:ahimsadesi@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 5:25 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat mysteriously stops responding...

Hey guys,

I've had the persistent problem with Tomcat (using
Cocoon) over some months now where when I go to bed at
night my Tomcat/Cocoon server is functioning just fine
and I can access all web pages, both static and
dynamically generated (from a backend db).

But when I wake up and try to access the pages the
connection just times out and I get a totally blank
response.  This doesn't happen every single day, but
often enough to be annoying.  We're soon going live
with the site, so this happening **at all** is a scary
thought.  I can't seem to figure out what the problem
could be.

I'm fairly sure it's Tomcat because restarting Tomcat
almost always solves the problem.  I've had this
problem through all my Tomcat upgrades (4.1.12 all the
way to 4.1.27 now) and my Cocoon upgrades (from 2.0.x
all the way until latest 2.1.2).

Has anybody else experienced this?  Any idea what it
could be?

Thanks!

Sonny