tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Lissack <rliss...@buildonline.com>
Subject RE: tomcat jitters, then hangs - please help
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:09:29 GMT
Hi Noam,

Remy pointed out to me previously that RH9 uses a new form of threading and
based on this we have done some investigation.

RH9 uses NTPL (Native POSIX Thread Library)
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/release-notes/x86/

It is possible to revert to the older form of threading, "LinuxThreads", by
setting an environment variable, namely:
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=<kernel-version>
- 2.4.1 - Linuxthreads with floating stacks
- 2.2.5 - Linuxthreads without floating stacks

This does not revert back to an older kernel, it just changes the GNU C
library used http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jtc/

We will be testing with these settings starting today and, if we continue to
have problems, we will be trying another distro.

Ryan

More NTPL info http://www.redhat.com/partners/pdf/POSIX_Linux_Threading.pdf