tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: tomcat jitters, then hangs - please help
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:52:17 GMT

Howdy,
Oh, these problems are invariably a pain to debug ;)

>My Tomcat installation works fine until sometimes (usually after 24
hours),
>calling the simplest servlet locks up the Tomcat threads,
>causing the tomcat engine to be unresponsive.

At that time, if you send the VM a SIGQUIT, what are the threads doing?

>The servlets I'm running work with a mysql JDBC connector connecting to
>mysql database.

Is the behavior the same if all you have in your webapp is the Hello
servlet?  I.e. you take all other servlets, especially the ones that use
JDBC, out?  There have been problems reported in the past with DB
connection pool threads just hanging around.

>the simple "Hello" servlet  (code at the bottom). After calling it a
few
>times there was no

So the first few times it works?

>more response from the server and the tomcat manager/status page (which
>sometimes returns and sometimes not) clearly shows that the "Hello"
servlet
>is stuck:
>
>Stage 1:  After calling the "Hello" servlet
>
>Stage    Time        B Sent    B Recv    Client                VHost
>Request
>S        32671 ms   0KB        0KB        194.90.90.18       mdrmus
Get

Actually, this shows your servlet wasn't even called: no bytes sent OR
received.  Are you sure you're not having a network failure?

Also, the fact the manager status page sometimes works and sometimes
doesn't is worrisome.  I've never had problems with it, and it should be
very reliable.  Can you can the manager webapp to malfunction even
without any of your webapps deployed on the server?  If so, open a
bugzilla issue with steps to reproduce your behavior.

>If anyone has any idea how to solve this problem, I would be most
grateful.

Any errors in the logs?  (Also make sure you have adequate disk space to
write logs and temp files).

Yoav Shapira