tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: custom web app classloader
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:52:57 GMT

Howdy,

>I want to write my own custom web application class loader, for Tomcat
4.1*

Out of curiosity, why?

>- the class I write should implement org.apache.catalina.Loader
interface.

>- once I write the class, I tell tomcat to use it by specifying it in
the
><Loader> tag of a <Context> in server.xml
>
>- my class itself goes into $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib

I believe you can also put it in common/lib.    Your other two
statements above are correct.

>It would be a real bonus to see an example. I am sure more than one
person
>in this community has done this before.

More than one person has tried, that's for sure.  You can search the
list archive.  There hasn't been a message on this topic for a little
while now.

I say tried, not succeeded, as this is a notoriously difficult issue.

>Any words of advice?

Yeah, don't do it unless you really have to.

If you do it, keep in mind:

- Reloadability (webapp restart)
- Delegation according to servlet specification
- Don't make anything tomcat specific, specifically the tomcat
classloader hierarchy of of bootstrap->system->common->shared->webapp...

Yoav Shapira